From the editors
CULTURE IN A "FOREIGN" SPACE: AN INTRODUCTION
TO GENIUS LOCI KALININGRAD AND KOENIGSBERG
KALININGRAD IN THE YEAR 2020 - A NOT QUITE FICTITIOUS CONVERSATION
DESTINATION - KALININGRAD
FROM KALININGRAD DICTIONARY
MAP OF THE CITY
FORMA URBIS. SYMBOLIC PARALLELS
IN OR OUT
THE RAILWAY STATION AND ENTRANCE TO THE CITY OF KALININGRAD
BINARY STATES OF "K" CITY
Eugeny Umansky, Karpenko-Karpenko
IN THE CENTER
Andrei Monastyrsky, Sabina Haensgen
EMPTY CENTER K.
FOLLOWING SILENT WORDS
FA+ (Ingrid Falk & Gustavo Aguerre)
THE MYTHICAL FOUNDATION OF KALININGRAD
PRETERITION: KNEIPHOF ISLAND
THE BRIDGES AND "THE PREGEL'S ODOR"
John Craig Freeman, Greg Ulmer
IMAGING KALININGRAD: THE SEVEN BRIGES OF KOENIGSBERG
FORGOTTEN KANT AND THE KANT-BRAND IN KOENIGSBERG
KANT'S BRIDES: A READYMADE PHOTOGRAPHIC CHRONOTOPE
THE CATHEDRAL AND KANT FOR EVERYONE, OR IS GOD FEARSOME WITHOUT MORAL
THE CASTLE OF SOVIETS
THE ROYAL CASTLE
A WHITE SEAGULL ABOVE THE CITY: THE SYMBOLS OF THE OLD NEW CITY
WRITING OF DREAMS
LIGHT UP DOM SOVETOV
THE HOUSE OF SOVIETS
THE MOST PROFOUND SECRET OF ONE KOENIGSBERG LAWYER: HOFFMANN
A LEGEND ABOUT FIVE LITTLE ULRICHEN AND FERRYMAN ANDRE
KOENIGSBERG-KALININGRAD. THE TASTE OF MARZIPAN
THE COUNTRY OF PENSIONERS - OR THE GERMANS
CONCRETE ELEMENTS OF KALININGRAD
THE UNDREAMED OF CITY
TOWN PLANNING MATHEMATICS
MOSKOVSKII PROSPECT & THE SHADOWS AROUND ALTSTADT
OUR TOWER Ivan Chechot
THE TOWER-REDAN "KRONPRINZ"
THE KRONPRINZ TOWER. Projects for the National Centre for Contemporary Arts by Students of the Institute for Theory and Design in Architecture (Braunschweig, Germany)
THE AMBER ROOM
BASTIONS IN DIAMONDS AND EMERALDS
THE HOUSE OF MACHINERY: THE RECONSTRACTION AND EXPLOITATION OF THE POPULATION
V.I.P. (Very Interesting Person)
PLACE OF EXECUTION
TRACES OF A VIRTUAL HISTORY IN A VERY REAL CITY
CHRIST THE SAVIOR CATHEDRAL
LIFE AND EGGS (A sketch about trams)
A STROLL THROUGH THE CENTER
IN THE FLOW: FOUNTAIN SEASON
WILD WEST OF RUSSIA
ANIMALS IN KALININGRAD AND A MOSAIC
KOENIGSBERG'S SPIRITUAL HERITAGE IN TONS, ITEMS AND SACKS. From the history of lost and found cultural heritage
WE ALL ARE GOING TO BE THERE
MONUMENT TO 1200 GUARDSMEN IN KALININGRAD
MATTER AND SPIRIT
FRAGMENT OF A SYMPHONY FOR SLOW READING: IVANOV AND HIS SURROUNDINGS
ATTIC OF RECOGNITION
MAN AND WOMAN
THE SMALL SCULPTURE "GIRL"
ON THE STREET
Igor Isaev, Dmitrii Demidenko
THE FIRE HYDRANT
Kalle Brolin, Kristina Muntzing
THE WATERFALL HERACLES' BOLT
V.I.P. (Very Interesting Person)
NATASHA POTERYASHINA. Inteview
TO BE IN THE MOOD FOR PACKING
Dmitrii Bulatov, Pavel Savel'ev
ACEPHALUS: OPTICAL MODELS
LIGHT THE CRYSTALS OF KALININGRAD!
THE BRIDGE THAT THE "RUSSIANS COULDN'T PULL DOWN"
THE ROAD TO BERLIN: FROM EPIC TO BANAL. Interview with Valerii Bugrov
HOAR-STONES AND BOUNDARY SYMBOLS
MUSCOVITES ARE HANGING
BEFORE THE CITY
THE TOWER-REDAN "KRONPRINZ"
Elena Tsvetaeva / Kaliningrad, Russia
The Kronprinz defensive barracks were part of the second rampart fortification ring of Koenigsberg. Construction work was officially begun on 15 October 1843, with the ceremonial laying of the first stone of the barracks. Construction was completed in 1849.
Immediately after their completion the barracks were occupied by the elite units of the Koenigsberg garrison. It hosted the First Grenadier Regiment, whose grenadiers were called "crown princes" in Koenigsberg.
After 1890 the importance of the barracks as a fortification declined, and the casemates were rebuilt as living quarters. After World War I police units were housed in the defense barracks. Since 1933 the barracks have housed the Koenigsberg police, the military exchequer of the Wehrmacht, the headquarters of the First Division, depots and different municipal services.
In April 1945 there were fierce battles at the walls of the barracks, but they did not undergo the assault and were surrounded by Soviet troops until the general capitulation.
After the war a penal battalion that took part in the assault of Koenigsberg was quartered in the barracks.
In the 1950s it housed a tank repair training regiment and a motor battalion in training. Since the 1970s, a nautical school, a dormitory, fishing industry companies, and warehouses have been located here. In 1960 the building was given state protection by Decree of the Council of Ministers.
Today the Kronprinz Barracks are a monument of military- engineering architecture and an object of historical and national cultural heritage protected by the state. In 2003 part of the defensive barracks -- the Tower-Redan "Kronprinz" -- was transferred to the day-to-day management of the National Center for Contemporary Art. In a few years this structure will be the home of a unique museum, exhibition and research center dedicated to contemporary culture in Kaliningrad.
The present state of this monument is picturesque and sad; the inner rooms of the tower are quite neglected. In this three-storied building the ceilings remain only between the ground and first floors. There are no windows, and on the upper terrace trees and grass grow with a strikingly obstinate urge to live in spite of everything. Nevertheless, the monument is outwardly quite impressive! The heavy architectural appearance, the historical background and the contemporary "ruined" state of the monument do not allow the curators and artists of the Center for Contemporary Art to calmly wait for the completion of its restoration and reconstruction. The artists enrich their practices with a new subject: they revive the space, fill it with new content and, thereby, organically incorporate Kronprinz into a varied contemporary life. In 2004 the tower was one of the architectural spaces of the city assigned to architecture students of the Technical University of Braunschweig for their diploma work. Seven original projects solidly reflected contemporary trends in architecture and work on heritage interpretation; they proposed a different identity for Kronprinz as a new landmark in a mosaic city space, a concept which would transform Kaliningrad itself.
The Center for Contemporary Art's acquisition of the Kronprinz Tower for its future residence and financial support for the reconstruction and restoration of the structure by the Federal Agency on Culture and Cinematography are definitely symbolic of the times. They reveal the potential of contemporary culture and the changes taking place in society. The idea of transforming forts, old factories, tram depots, and power stations into halls and museums of contemporary art is not new to the history of world art. But for Kaliningrad this is truly a significant event - a beautiful metaphor symbolizing the surrender of military buildings and military power to art.
Translation by N. Andreeva